Get training, get support
We can help you take your research to the next level through either of our two personalized services:
Catalyst Large database analysis workshop (CME credit eraning activity)
2-day workshop intended to teach you what you need to know to independently find, acquire and statisitcally analyze large databases. The workshop includes a theoretical part and a hands-on part. Both parts run in parrallel on both days, usually a Saturday and a Sunday over one weekend.
Catalyst research concierge service
"Knowledge is the Most valuble research tool"
This service is intended to give you your own private research department. You can use it to get help in specific tasks in large database analysis research project or chose to delegate all the work to us. Once you have a research idea, we can provide you with the help you need in every step involed in making it an abstract and/or manuscript. We will do all the legwork for you so you can focus on writing the abstract/manuscript.
We help you determine if your question is answerable using large databases, we choose the database for you, help you design the researchproject and analyse the data for you. We can also help you only in the specific steps that you are looking for help with performing, such as database selection or purchase, project design, data analysis, etc...
Catalyst Large database analysis research workshops:
Catalyst research concierge service:
Get trained to perform large database analysis research projects independently
Get statistical or any other support you need for your research project. It is like having your own private research department
The theoretical part is a series of interactive lectures during which the statisitcal knowledge and scientific principles needed to conduct large database analysis research are presented. The topics covered include:
- Detailed presentation of the Nationwide Inpatient Sample - Confounders and ways to adjust for them
- Detailed presentation of the Nationwide Emergency Department Sample - Univariate and multivariate linear regression analysis
- Type of studies that can and cannot be conducted using large databases - Univariate and multivariate logistic regression analysis
- In depth look at the ICD-9 codes and their use - Regression model building
- In depth look at the ICD-10 codes and their use - the concept of p-value in large database analysis
During the hands-on part, participants practice all the steps involved in large database research: from locating a database online and ordering it to installing it on the computer. Participants then perform practice problems using STATA to become comfortable with the statistical analysis needed for a large database research project: from defining a study cohort to building a multivariate regression analysis model.
- Participants in the workshop earn up to 16 AMA PRA Category 1 Continuing Medical Education Credit(s)TM *
- Participants only need a personal computer to attend the workshop. Access to STATA is provided for the duration of the workshop for no additional cost.
- Shortcuts and premade templates will be provided for the most commonly used STATA commands. This method significantly decreases both the time needed to learn statistical programing and to write individual programs.
- Logistical considerations:
- The workshop can be given onsite at a division/department's request
- Each day starts at 8 AM and is expected to end at 5 pm. Lunch and refreshements/coffee is provided
- Each participant receives access to the latest NIS and NEDS databases for the duration of the workshop free of charge
- Free access to STATA is provided for the duration of the workshop
- Each participant receives a USB memory stick containing the workshop material and lecture slides
- A certificate of attendance is awarded to each participants who successfully complete the workshop - CME credits can be claimed at the end of the workshop
- Wroskhop participants will gain access to ThinkBig, the private and exclusive online community where members can ask questions, find answers, find mentors and mentees and stay up to date with everything related to large database analysis